Friday, February 4, 2011

Pomme…… EVERYTHING French



It is the little touches in life that make you smile and that make this place amazing.  This is a little French bistro tucked away in, of all places, Gordonsville, VA.  It is in the historical section of Main street and you could possibly miss if you weren't looking for it.  You must be on the look out for the Big Yellow Apple that says its name Pomme :)

I have been there four times now and have never been disappointed.  I think you could actually pluck this place right out of a picture from a little French bistro in France’s country side. 

My husband asked me where I wanted to dine for my birthday this past December and I said someplace French.  We had been to most of the French restaurants in Charlottesville area recently so we thought of POMME in Gordonsville.  It was an evening of calamities; we had to change the reservation from 7:30pm to 8:15pm, when I made the call for the change they indicated they were waiting for us right then, which gave me pause, since it was only 7:00.  The Maitre d’ informed me that he needed to ask the Chef! Thankfully they are able to accommodate our change.  I might add that it was due to a hair cut that ran late and me getting home to change that made me change the time.  Which alone can easily stress me out.  My husband was beginning to worry as I had not called to let him know I was running late because at that point I didn’t even realize.  When I did actually get home my husband had a bouquet of flowers waiting for me for my birthday and off we went to Pomme.  When we got there, to our surprise, we were the only ones in the restaurant (which actually makes me a bit nervous, which if you really know me you will know that I was worrying to death about that). I was worried that we would feel rushed.  I could not have been more wrong. I felt like we were in our own little part of France enjoying an amazing dinner together.  

This is a father / son operation.  They were great! I never felt pressured or rushed.  The Chef (and father) came out to check on our meals, which were incidentally AMAZING.   We had the rib eye with fresh vegetables with fun potatoes.  The picture is actually our meal and NO, I was not able to finish it.  As an appetizer we had this crab crepe, and WOW is all I can say. Dessert was this double chocolate mousse with a chocolate crush.  I am a chocolate lover so this was absolutely divine. The son and Maitre d’ is also a sommelier which made the experience even more fun for me.  The wine selection was excellent and prices were excellent as well.  It was a perfect birthday both company and food.  I will say this is not a place for someone on a diet as these dishes were not light on the calories.  Every now and then though you should indulge yourself and eat what ever you want and when that time is at hand I recommend Pomme.  This also may not be the French cuisine most are familiar with.  This is French country cooking rather than nouvel cuisine, by which I mean that you do not go home and have another meal because what was on your plate was just not enough to make a dent in your hunger. 

The last time I was there was New Year’s Eve and it was still decorated for the holidays (beautiful).  There was a fire in the fire place and luckily we were seated very close to it as NYE here was very cold.  The great thing about this place was when I called for the NYE reservation he remembered me; of course that could be because we were the only ones there on our last visit!  At any rate he asked me what I like to eat and of course I told him Rib Eye steak and then he went on to describe the meal for the evening which would be Filet Migon and the Champagne.  Well, the end to this story is that there this is an amazing place to dine, probably one of the best places I have EVER eaten in and it doesn’t break the bank.

 But of course, I do love everything French and am currently planning a trip to France in the Fall of 2011. While that will give me true country experience to compare to this little gem in Virginia, I suspect I will still feel as strongly about Pomme. 







No comments:

Post a Comment