Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cupcakes Cupcakes Everywhere Cupcakes!!!!!!!







Cupcakes Cupcakes Everywhere Cupcakes!


I have recently been intrigued by cupcakes.  I don’t really know why because I really don’t enjoy cake at all.  However, for some reason cupcakes have a hold on me.  Perhaps it is the size or the new craze that is happening around the world with these small works of art. 

The Food Network has begun the show called Cupcake Wars wherein four cupcake makers are in a competition for the coveted spot of making 1000 cupcakes for an event that evening.  WOW! Seems impossible but the show is good and light on the mind.  But this is not about the show; this is about my new fascination with cupcakes.

My first experience with the small little cakes was in Georgetown at none other than Georgetown Cupcakes 3301 M Street NW (corner of 33rd & M) Washington, DC 20007 .  I had the dark chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting.  My husband had the key lime cupcake that had a crystallized lime slice on the top.   The selections were endless and the size was perfect, not too big but not too small. Price was about right for the quality and size.  They were amazing and I can’t wait until my next trip to Georgetown.  I think I could have eaten probably three of the little delights.  You must have stamina if you plan to visit Georgetown Cupcakes, as there was a line and it took about an hour to be served I’ve got to say, however, it is well worth the wait.  While we were there we also bought our friends two chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting and chocolate ganache filling.  Somehow, only one actually made it back to them…. yikes.  (Good thing I run!)

My second cupcake experience was in Richmond at a place called Two Sweet Cupcakes 3422 Lauderdale Drive Henrico, VA 23233.  I again tried the chocolate cake; this time it was filled with peanut butter and had a peanut butter frosting.  Very tasty, a little dry, and a bit big to eat in the car while you are driving down the road so don’t try that.  My youngest daughter had the pumpkin cupcake with cream cheese frosting which she said was AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS (surprising especially since she does not like frosting).  She thought and I agree it was the just right amount of sweet, and not the kind of sweet  that stabs the back of your throat and makes you super thirsty  .My Father had the Chocolate with the Vanilla Bean filling with Chocolate frosting (Chocolate, chocolate, we might be related J)

My third cupcake experience was at the Piedmont Wine Festival in Orange VA and was provided by ; Sweet Reason, 4290 Germanna Highway in Locust Grove Va.  In keeping with the theme of chocolate and peanut, that’s what I tried, and this outfit’s cupcake, I think, tops Two Sweet.  They actually had chocolate peanut clusters on top of the cupcake which was infused with a peanut butter filling and had peanut butter frosting.  It was a little pricey compared to the other two.  The cupcake it self was a bit bigger and a little more difficult to manage, evidenced by the fact that my husband dropped half of it on the ground trying to take a bite…… UGHHHHHHHHHHH, other than that it was very good!

My fourth and now latest was cupcake experience was at Cappellino’s Crazy Cakes right here in our own Charlottesville.  They have a small shop on the Downtown Mall on 3rd Street.  I had been trying to stick with the chocolate peanut butter theme but that was not one of the offerings the day I visited.    So I tried the Chocolate Mocha Wake Me Up and my husband had the New York white pound cake.  They were both very good.  They were the right size to eat with out forks.  They were both very moist and the price was excellent.  Not sure what all of the sparkles are about but every one of their little cakes had sparkles, which I tends to be a fan of, so no problem for me.  I hear tell that their Lemon Drop will induce labor and that they have had 4 ladies have babies that day after eating the Lemon Drop cupcake delight.  I must tell all of the pregnant ladies I know.  The folks there were very nice and even gave me a couple extras to try….. Totally not disappointed.  Please note that if cupcakes aren’t your thing this place has delicious oversized cookies as well.

Last but not least my oldest daughter now inspired by the little delights is making her own cupcakes.  She brings them to show case at the UVA home football games.

I highly recommend these sweet treats at all four of these locations even for the non-cake eaters because you may just find out that you love them!  And by all means, check out the Food Network for the Cupcake Wars on Tuesday nights  at 9pm EST.


No comments:

Post a Comment