Monday, October 25, 2010

Bodo's Bagels


It is Saturday and fall is in the air, I have come in to Charlottesville for an 8-10 mile training run.  It is pretty out, so around the UVA grounds and to the downtown mall I head.  I have only eaten a banana and had a cup of coffee because my treat to myself will be a breakfast bagel sandwich from Bodo’s Bagels.  After nine and a half miles I will have earned the carbohydrate load…..I can hardly concentrate on anything else during my run except the garlic bagel with cheddar cheese, eggs and sausage that awaits me at the end.

Bodo’s is a Charlottesville icon.  There are three locations and honestly I have never been into any of the locations when it wasn’t jam packed with people; students at The Corner spot, families at the 29 north location and town’s people at the Preston Avenue store.

Bodo’s is a legendary bagelry that has become a Charlottesville institution.  It is the number one thing people miss when they move away from Charlottesville.  I have known of people that have actually had friends ship them a box of Bodo’s bagels to their new homes.

You might ask what sets Bodo’s apart from other bagel shops…….. Everything.  The staff is always cheery and polite.  They are constantly re-cleaning tables so the next customers can sit and enjoy the long awaited bagel.  The food is always fresh and tasty.  They have something for everyone: the famous Caesar salad, shrimp salad and many unique spreads that include this amazing olive spread and they also have many vegan selections.  All very delicious!

Bodo’s is a must when in Charlottesville. You will know when you have arrived at Bodo’s because the door handles are shaped like an over sized bagel… Wow, I wish they really came that big! 

I like to call this place BODOLICIOUS.

1 comment: